This site uses cookies for analytics, personalized content and ads. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use

Het Zwin

Natural reserve area

Het Zwin Natural reserve is located on the border between Belgium and the Netherlands. The dunes and marshes are formed by the wind and tide and are the habitat of various birds such as the falcon and the redshank.

During the dark ages Het Zwin was the gateway to the cities Brugge, Sluis and Aardenburg. It was a period of growth and wealth.

When Het Zwin silted-up the ships could no longer reach Brugge and the economy collapsed.

Nature reserve

In 1872 large parts of het Zwin were impoldered except the waterway and the surrounding land. The waterway is still an open connection to the sea. 20% of het Zwin is located in the Netherlands. The other 80% is located accross the border in Belgium.

What do visitors say about Het Zwin?

Adress and visitor information

Het Zwin

Address: Gerrit van Hoekestraat 2
Postal code and city: 4525 NH  Retranchement
Province: Zeeland
Additional information: The visitor center at the Dutch side of the border is closed in winter. But het Zwin is freely accessible throughout the year.

Let op: The location on the map is an indication. It is not always the entrance, parking lot or best route



Places nearby Retranchement

Where to stay?

Copyright © Hotspot Holland 2003 - 2021
We are HotspotHolland, the Netherlands Travel Guide. Sightseeing, tours, trips and getaways.

Cookie policy: We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your browser settings we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies.

Follow us on Social Media: