Touching fishes in the Aquarium
Gibraltar of the North
Den Helder - Gibraltar of the North. That's how emperor Napoleon called the city of Den Helder during his visit in 1811. The strategic city is located near the coast and has a strategic navy harbour. The emperor found the fortifications that protected the city too weak. Therefore he decided to build five new fortifications. Most fortifications disappeared during the centuries. One fortress remained and was extensively restored in 1996. It's called Fort Kijkduin.